Guiding the way we think, feel, socialise and learn

Psychology Services Charlestown

Our Psychologists look at the way children, teenagers and adults think, feel and learn and how these factors can influence their everyday lives.

EDUCARE Psychologists are experienced in the initial assessment and diagnosis of varying psychological conditions and in the provision of therapy required to address the psychological, emotional, social, developmental and learning needs of children, teenagers and adults.

EDUCARE is an NDIS registered and accredited provider.  Service Agreements can be set up to cover our Psychology as well as Speech and Occupational Therapy.

Do I need a referral to see a Psychologist?

No, you don’t. However, after seeing the psychologist for the initial session, the clinician may suggest you visit the GP to access a Better Access for Mental Health Care Plan. Your child or teenager will need to have a diagnosis of anxiety, depression, ADHD, Autism or another developmental disorder to access this referral. This referral entitles them to a Medicare rebate for up to10 sessions annually.

If I have a referral from a GP to see a psychologist what rebate do I get back from Medicare?

  • Consulting psychologist; Full fee is $185 – Medicare rebate is $87.45;
  • Clinical psychologist: Full fee is $220 – Medicare rebate is $128.40

What happens in the first psychology session?

The first session takes the form of an assessment discussions, formal/semi formal interview and may include standardised questionnaires that seek to identify the underlying issues and potential causes for the presenting problems.

This session also may allow you the opportunity to discuss treatment options and goals for treatment. Previous assessments, reports etc are very important at this stage of the process.  So copies of these should be presented for consideration at the time of the assessment to assist in the formulation and treatment plan.

How many sessions are needed for a full assessment by the Psychologist?

Formal Assessments can often take between 3-5 sessions for the assessment to be completed. The number of sessions depends on the nature of the difficulties and the age of the client.

Is it necessary to pay for the report after seeing the psychologist for an assessment?

The fees for the assessment sessions include the report.  The report is prepared by the clinician following the assessment sessions and provides a very comprehensive treatment plan, strategies, recommendations and information needed by parents, teachers, NDIS and other professionals.

What do I need to bring with me to the sessions?

You need to provide any reports from the past as well as any other related and relevant information. It is beneficial to email this information before the appointment if possible.

Do you communicate with the child’s or teenager’s teacher?

The amount and time of the communication with the school will be discussed with parents during the initial session. The comprehensive report is the best way to communicate with the teachers initially followed by emails if parents provide consent accordingly.

How often do the sessions take place?

This depends entirely on the nature of the issues and concerns to be addressed. Usually the first 5-6 sessions take place within the first 2-3 months followed up by less infrequent sessions.

Does Psychological Therapy work?

Research suggests that therapy is extremely effective. Therapy can enhance happiness, increase self-esteem and increase performance, with many seeking therapy to improve their general mental and emotional wellbeing. For example, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can work as well as medication for treating depression (and in some cases can provide more long-term positive effects compared to medication).

Therapy can be effective for many psychological disorders and has been shown to increase family functioning, increase positive self-esteem in children and teenagers and provide individuals with valuable life-long skills.

What is the difference between a Psychiatrist, Clinical Psychologist and a Counsellor?

A Psychiatrist has a medical specialist background, having completed a Bachelor of Medicine and post-graduate training in Psychiatry. They have a biological focus on human pathology and subsequent treatment often includes medication.  This is a nationally regulated profession.

A Clinical Psychologist has a Bachelor of Psychology or equivalent followed by post-graduate training in mental health and psychological well-being. These professionals are not trained as Medical practitioners and hence are not authorised to administer medications.  Psychologists are registered through the national registration body, AHPRA.

A Counsellor works with people struggling with more general problems, for example, divorce, loss and grief, where there is a relatively less psychological distress and suffering than a pure mental health problem. In Australia anyone can call themselves a Counsellor. Thus, this is not a nationally regulated profession.

What does evidence-based practice mean?

Evidenced-based practice refers to psychological approaches that have been shown, through research, to be effective. For example, studies show Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) can be as effective as medication for individuals suffering from anxiety or depression. Professional guidelines dictate that the most appropriate evidenced-based therapy should be offered to clients for treatment of mental health problems.

Book a session with one of our Psychologists today

For Psychology Services, EDUCARE can help. Phone the EDUCARE Clinic ((02) 4943 4444) to book in for a meeting with a Psychologist. From there, we will be able to provide guidance and direction for you in identifying and accessing the various support services required. Alternately, you can contact us online.