Let Us Help


Psychologists Available for Children and Adolescents across NSW

Guiding the way we think, feel, socialise and learn

Our Psychologists look at the way a child or adolescent thinks, feels and learns and how these factors can influence their everyday lives.

EDUCARE Psychologists are experienced in the initial assessment and diagnosis of medical conditions, and in the provision of therapy required to address the psychological, emotional, social, developmental and learning needs of children and adolescents throughout Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Charlestown and the wider NSW suburbs.

Do I need a referral to see a Psychologist?

No you don't. However, after seeing the psychologist for the initial session, the clinician may suggest you visit the GP to access a Better Access for Mental Health Care Plan. Your child or adolescent will need to have a diagnosis of anxiety, depression, ADHD, Autism or another developmental disorder to access this referral. This referral entitles them to a Medicare rebate for 10 sessions annually.

If I have a referral from a GP to see a psychologist how rebate do I get back from Medicare?

Consulting psychologist; Full fee is $175 - the rebate is $85 Clinical psychologist: Full fee is $215 - the rebate is $125

What happens in the first psychology session?

The first session takes the form of an assessment discussions, formal/semi formal interview and may include standardised questionnaires that to focus on the underlying symptoms rather than the presenting problems.
This session also may allow the child or adolescent and psychologist the opportunity to discuss treatment options and goals for treatment. Previous assessments, reports etc are very important at this stage of the process so copies of these should be presented for consideration in the assessment, formulation and treatment options.

How many sessions are needed for a full assessment by the Psychologist?

Usually it takes anything between 3-5 sessions for the assessment to be completed. The number of sessions depends on the nature of the difficulties and the child or adolescent's age.

Is it necessary to pay for the report after seeing the psychologist for an assessment?

The report is prepared by the clinician following the assessment sessions and provides a very comprehensive treatment plan, strategies, recommendations and information needed by parents, teachers, NDIS and other professionals. The report fee at EDUCARE is $200 and is payable ahead of the report preparation.

What do I need to bring with me to the sessions?

You need to provide any reports by other clinicians your child or adolescent/you have seen in the past as well as any other related and relevant information. It is beneficial to email this information before the appointment if possible.

Do you communicate with the child or adolescent's teacher?

The amount and time of the communication with the school will be discussed with parents during the initial session. The comprehensive report is the best way to communicate with the teachers initially followed by emails if parents provide consent accordingly.

How often do the sessions take place?

This depends entirely on the nature of the issues and concerns to be addressed. Usually the first 5-6 sessions take place within the first 2-3 months followed up by less infrequent sessions.

Does Psychological Therapy work?

Research suggests that therapy is extremely effective. Therapy can enhance happiness, increase self-esteem and increase performance, with many seeking therapy to improve general wellbeing. For example, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can work as well as medication for treating depression (and in some cases can provide more long-term positive effects compared to medication). Therapy can be effective for many psychological disorders and has been shown to increase family functioning, increase positive self-esteem in children and adolescents and provide individuals with valuable life-long skills.

What is the difference between a Psychiatrist, clincial psychologist and a counsellor?

A Psychiatrist has a medical background, having completed a Bachelor of Medicine and post-graduate training in psychiatry. They have a biological focus on human pathology and subsequent treatment through medication (this is a generalisation however). This is a nationally regulated profession.

A Clinical Psychologist has a Bachelor of Psychology of equivalent followed by post-graduate training in mental health with a focus on the psychological and social aspects mental health and the subsequent treatment is based on this psychosocial model. These professionals are not trained as Medical practitioners and hence are not trained or authorised to administered medications.

A Counsellor works with people struggling with more general problems, for example, divorce, loss and grief, where there is a relatively less psychological distress and suffering than a pure mental health problem. In Australia anyone can call themselves a counsellor. Thus, this is not a nationally regulated profession. There are organisations in Australia that are making great efforts to regulate their profession such as the Australian Counselling Association which also has strict criteria for membership and a formal code of conduct.

What does evidence-based practice mean?

Evidenced-based practice refers to psychological approaches that have been shown, through research, to be effective. For example, studies show Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) can be as effective as medication for individuals suffering from anxiety or depression. Professional guidelines dictate that the most appropriate evidenced-based therapy is to be offered to clients for treatment of mental health problems.

Book a session with our psychologist today

If you live in Charlestown, Lake Macquarie, Newcastle or any of the surrounding suburbs, and would like your child or adolescent to have a session with our psychologist, or receive any of our other services, including speech therapy or from our paediatric clinic, please contact EDUCARE on 02 4943 4444 or leave your details on our contact form.